H is for Hi, I’m KT and I HAVE AN AGENT!

H is for Hi, I’m KT and I HAVE AN AGENT!

I’m still in shock. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m utterly and completely happy, but definitely in shock. I signed with Judith Engracia of Liza Dawson Associates on April 6th 2012 :D

See, I was originally hoping to have TDP 1 ready to query this April/May, but my fantastic beta readers got the third draft back to me by the start of March. I’d managed to let them talk me into entering TDP in the Mystery Agent monthly contest on Operation Awesome, and into PitchMadness.

Now the Mystery Agent netted me a request from a lurking agent I was not expecting.  I whipped my query into shape, and sent off the query and requested pages. And I thought, well – I should probably query some of the agents I like as well. So, I sent off a total of 7 (non-requested) queries.

On Monday 12th of March, I found out I’d made it into the Agent round of Pitchmadness. This was really exciting for me as I’d finished the final pass and was just tweaking a few things on the MS. And on Wednesday I tied with two full requests. Based on my pitch and 150 words – this was a small ego booster.

I sent off both fulls on March 15th and sat, biting my nails. Seriously, this is amazingly nerve wracking.

My friends and CPs Jami, Jai, Heather and Becca all helped calm me down and avoid being a complete emotional wreck, but it was a close one. Hubby was there to keep the pieces from falling apart, too.

Because as everyone knows, a full request doesn’t necessarily mean anything. This whole subjective process wears on you and your nerves.

Then Judith sent me an DM on twitter. That she was loving it and would finish it that night. This sent me into a tailspin. Loving it is good, right? Some time passed and Judith continued to correspond with me. I received other requests and sent them.

And then the email asking if she could call.

IF? Of course she could call! She was absolutely lovely to talk to, got my book and the direction the story goes in, and made excellent suggestions I could so see improving the book. She didn’t want to remove anything, only add some.

I had to give 7 days to one of the other fulls I had out. It was one of those – please notice that I don’t ask for exclusives, just that you give me 7 days should you receive an offer. Judith is a newer agent, but very passionate, and while I really liked her, as a writer, you always wonder what’s best for your book. I’d researched a lot BEFORE sending out queries, but…

So I spent a week with 5 fulls out researching agents and clients, and recent sales and experience and anything and everything I could find. I marked pros and cons and weighed everything I could think of.

When I sent Judith the contract on Friday I was 100% happy with my agent. I think that’s increased to about 150% now.

I’m so proud to have found the person who believes in my storytelling and my ideas, who can see the bigger picture I can see. Thank you so much Judith! I’m looking forward to many amazing years to come!

To everyone out there searching for an agent, editor or whatever – remember, it only takes one person to have that spark. Don’t give up.

And have a chocolate :)

58 Comments

1. Because I haven’t said it enough yet: CONGRATULATIONS!! Seriously sweetie, I’m super excited, and just glad I could help. Seriously, the friday you got “The Call”, I don’t think I was able to stop smiling all day!! *giant loves*

• ROFL <3 Well, you and Em are a huge part of why this has been possible. Thank you. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate you, but I hope you know it.

2. ♥ You deserve every bit of it! ♥
    So LOVED your story and so happy and proud of you! Can’t wait to see it in the bookstores! :D

• And you and Anthony are so awesome and I love you both! And YAY and <3

3. Congratulations! That is AWESOME news!!

• Thank you so much!

• Thank you :D See you soon!

4. I’m so thrilled I joined Pitch Madness and won a full request for your ms! 150% happy on my end, as well :) This is the beginning of something beautiful!

• This is going to be so awesome :D Thank you, thank you, thank you :D

5. Wow! Congrats on getting an agent! :D This is so exciting!

You deserve many happy puppy kisses to celebrate! ^_^

• Thank you so much, hon :D Yeah, I’ve already been bathed in puppy love LOL!

6. CONGRATULATIONS! and may add that I’m in no way surprised because you are one of the hardest working writers I *know*… and I’m pretty sure that soon you’ll be sharing that your book will be published. I just know it!!!!! congrats again KT this is soooo exciting :)

• Awww, thank you so much. This almost made me cry! I’ll keep everyone up to date :D And thank you again hon <3

7. CONGRATS! that’s such a wonderful story – and I’ve heard great things about Judith. My H for A-Z Challenge was almost exactly the same, only my ‘H’ was for Holy Expletive, I got an agent. I wonder how many of us A-Z babies will get an agent this month. So exciting!

• It’s so exciting to announce :D Thank you so much for visiting me – and it’d be great to see how many A-Z’ers have agents by the end of it hehe.
      Congrats to you and Thanks as well!

8. Congratulations! So excited for you!

9. This is awesome news. Congratulations! I hope things only get even better :)

10. Congrats on your amazing news! The agency represents some great books. I can’t wait to see yours listed on the site as well. From what I remember from PitchMadness, it sounded fantastic.

• Thank you for saying so, hon. Yeah, I’m really stoked. Some of the covers from the agency are gorgeous (I know I’m a coversist), and I’d be honoured to be listed there. I’m glad you thought it sounded great, and I’m really glad Judith agreed with you hehe.

11. Such wonderful news. So happy for you. Truly! Looking forward to seeing all the places you will go.

• Thank you so much, hon :D Much appreciated. I’m looking forward to where I go too haha!

• Thanks hon – looking forward to OWFI :D

12. Congratulations! That is so very very exciting! :)

• Thank you so much! I’m really excited too!

13. Congratulations! I’m so happy for you – busting with pride. This rocks! Best news I’ve heard in a long time!

Write on!

• Thanks, hon :D Awww – that’s really sweet of you. I’ll write lots!

14. Congratulations! I’m so happy for you. And a little green with envy of course ;-)

• Thanks, hon! And yes, I fully understand the a little green with envy thing. It’s very strange for me NOT to be that for once…

15. Congratulations!!! That is such awesome news. I am so very happy for you.

• :D Thank you! I’m so happy I could dance!

16. YAY! That such awesome news! :D So very proud of you. You totally deserve this and I can’t wait to read the book when it comes out…I will be expecting an autograph…just sayin’ :D #writemotivation all the way! :D

• Bwah hah hah – you’re so getting the autograph ;) Thanks, hon. Much appreciated. See you Saturday.

17. Yay congrats!

I remember going through the agent process last year and landing my own was one of the best days of my life!!!! It is a huge step! I’m currently on submission with the first book and now just completing the first book in a YA dystopian series.

Excited to hear how it all goes for you! Drop me a line when you have a chance. xx

• Thank you!
      It’s such an amazing thing, and I was so surprised.
      Good luck with your submission process. I will go visit your blog and cheer you on!

18. And I couldn’t be happier for you! I am so proud that you stuck with it, hushed those negative thoughts, and brought Sai, Dom, and Bastian to life. And you’re an awesome crit partner. XOXO

• You’re an awesome part of my cheering team <3 Thank you love!

• Thank you!

19. I already squeed over on FB, but I had to come here and read the whole story. I’m so excited for you! Congrats!

• I’m so excited I want to grasp hands and jump around in circles LOL <3 Thank you hon *hugs*

20. Ahhh!!! Lots and lots and LOTS of congratulations to you! Ride the wave my dear. I know there will be more working and waiting in the days, months, years to come, but enjoy every thrill of it when you can! CONGRATS!

• I’ma riding that wave lol. Trying to anyway. Had to get sick didn’t I? Lol. Thank you so much <3

21. Congrats on landing an agent!! That’s awesome!

• Thank you :D I’m so stoked!

22. I saw this tweeted by Damyanti G. on my Twitter feed. Congratulations. It really sounds like you are bouncing off the walls with happiness. :) I love how you wrote this post because it was written in such a way that I could just feel the puzzle pieces falling into place.

Congrats once again and good luck with the rest of the A to Z Challenge!

Sarah @ The Writer’s Experiment

23. Congrats! I can’t even say how awesome that is. I’m in the querying process as well with fulls out to agents I met at a conference, and so hearing your story renews my hope :)

24. Congratulations KT. How exciting for you. WooHoo!!!

25. Congratulations! This is fantastic news :-)

26. HOLY SHIT HOW DID I MISS THIS.

ConGRATULATIONS! I’m really proud of you and super-duper happy! You kick your ass with your writing, so this is just another step in the general direction of success!

27. Judith is an amazing young woman. She will be an awesome agent from you. It sounds like she is out there working editors as hard as she can. Congratulations!

28. How did I miss this, K.T.? Congratulations! :D